How to Forward Your Domain Name
A domain name is the name of your website. You might be thinking, “wait, I don’t have a website!” At Serenity Realty, you have one provided for you through your CINC platform. Usually it is firstname.northwestohiohomesearch.com, but your personal one may be different. However, that’s a really long website name, so we’re going to show you how to purchase your own domain and forward it to your website.
First, you need to purchase your domain name. Most agents end up using godaddy.com. Search for the name you want, purchase it. (You can choose to add email if you want to, but it’s not necessary if you don’t want it.)
Once you’ve purchased the name you want, you have to forward it. It’s a pretty simple process. On godaddy, here are the steps:
- Log in to your GoDaddy Domain Control Center. (Need help logging in? Find your username or password.)
- Select your domain name from the list to access the Domain Settings page.
- Under Additional Settings, select Manage DNS.
- Under Forwarding, select Add next to Domain or Subdomain. If you select a subdomain, enter the subdomain (maximum of 25 characters) in the Subdomain field.
- Under Forward to, choose https:// for the destination URL your domain will forward to.
- Enter the destination URL in the blank field. This is where we’ll send visitors to your domain name. (Usually yourname.northwestohiohomesearch.com)
- Under Forward type, select 301 redirect.
- Under Settings, select Forward only.
- Click Save!
Open a new browser (if you’re using safari, open chrome, if you’re using chrome, open edge or safari. If you don’t have another browser try another device) to see if it works. If it doesn’t, that’s okay – sometimes it can take up to 48 hours to take effect.